29.1.08

Bird Pooh

When they went back to the car, it was covered in bird pooh.

"So, are you already enjoying your new environment?"

"Yes! Little by little," she looked down and then up again. "Definitely more than your car... I'm going back again this weekend."

"Again? You know what?" he started looking around, keeping intermittent eye contact with her. "When I moved to this country there were still many attachments back where I came from... I could say that, somehow, I wasn't here at all! I was looking forward to go back as soon as I could for as long as I could... But then one day, the feeling wasn't strong anymore. I still missed my friends and family, my secret corners..."

"I bet there are many of those..."

"There are some..." a mischievous smile. "They faded. But they didn't disappear! They faded into something different that would always be there... Only then I realized that it was the same with everyone, no matter the time I would spend with them... Even that stranger I meet in a plane. As long, of course, as they're able to make an impact on me. And not only people... Also places... I'm good at getting drunk of them, have a little hangover, and move on without regret, enriched. Some people are, some aren't... And, don't get me wrong, everyone is right..."

He draw three dots on the wet rear window of the car with the fingertip that made him different from everyone else, unique. One in the center. One one inch to the south. One one inch to the east.

"You grew up in here," he said pointing the southern one. "You learned how to look through people's eyes up north..."

She nodded.

"And you're learning now how to not miss them anymore..." He paused. "And this is just the beginning. The car is huge, so is the world. Bird pooh also, but full of unknown places and people for you to experience. Some of them you'll miss, some of them you won't. That, amiga mía, you decide. You decide how deep you dive... And be sure that every now and then you'll also find bird pooh!"

He kissed her on the cheek and embraced her. She, without hesitation, dived into his arms.

"Now, I have to go," while slowly turning back and getting in the car.

She closed the door, smiled, and quietly walked barefoot over the fresh grass towards the warmth of a home that she was starting to appreciate.

While he was driving away he was missing her already. He was missing who she had been, who he had been. Nevertheless, he was looking forward to miss their future as well. They were not going to be the same ever again. Sweeter or bitterer. Maybe blank. Who knows? Who cares? His impatience faded. It turned into a calm smile. It did not matter anymore if he had to go east, and she west. They, at least, had actually walked together for a day or two. He did not care about tomorrow anymore. At the same time, he silently wished he knew what color it was going to be...

But then again, who does?

1 comment:

anandamarga said...

i think nikita's car is getting smaller, either that or for some reason i am starting to see more of the front windshield instead of just the passenger window, and my eyes are growing refreshingly comfortable with becoming familiar with the rightmost fingerprint. this brand new feeling is uniquely familiar and i like it.. even as my feet step away from the warm pavement and selfish embrace back onto the cold and wet but fresh grass. it's dark out and i could step on the new puppy's pooh at any second. Should i step quickly and lightly to avoid the pooh but miss refreshing senstion of the soft wet earth that has been placed there just for me to walk on? will doing so mean an inevitably dirty foot? i don't know! ... but then again who does?